Turtles spend their time in both water and on land. Well, if you see a turtle sun-basking then you should know that it is essential for their health. But if you want to keep a turtle as a pet, you should look out for the best turtle tanks that are large enough for them. Make sure that the tank can provide water for swimming and also provides an area where it can dry itself off. If you take care of the turtle keeping in mind their environment and other requirements then they will live longer and they can be amazing pets.
Helpful tips while choosing an amazing tank for your turtle
Well, you wouldn’t want your pet turtle to wander around the house and scare your guests who come over, isn’t it? So, here are some tips that will help you choose from the best turtle tanks. Are you curious to know what these tips include then make sure you check out the points mentioned down below?
- Remember your pet will grow: you need to make sure you are looking at the right size while purchasing a tank for your turtle. Keep in mind that your turtle will grow into the adult size and thus you need an adequate sized tank for it. Also, you might intend on putting more turtles into the tank, so buy the tank appropriately.
- Make sure the water is kept clean: you will have to see how you are going to supply clean and fresh water in the turtle tank. Most of these tanks available out there come with this water changing equipment along with a filter. You wouldn’t want your pet to swim in unhygienic water, isn’t it?
- Keeping your pet warm and safe: you need to consider warming and lighting for your pet’s tank. Warming of the tank is mandatory due to the lack of sun that helps in stimulating the natural habitat of the turtle. Lighting comes in a turtle tank but you also have options wherein you can customize the lighting for your little pet. Also, bear in mind that, based on the turtle’s size, the tank might also require a heater.
Before you start out
When you are planning to buy a tank for your turtle you need to know how big your pet will grow. So, based on the type of turtle you have, make sure you know some details about it. But what are the essential supplies required to set up a tank for your pet turtle?
- A large gallon aquarium or plastic container
- Heat light and UV light
- Basking area supplies like stones or rocks
- A good quality water filter for your aquarium
Filling the tank with the required amount of water:
Your pet turtle will require an adequate amount of water to swim in the aquarium. So, while filling the tank with water, remember that the water should be twice as deep as your turtle’s length. Turtles can swim pretty well and thus you do not have to worry about them getting drowned. Also, you need to make sure that there is no place underwater in which they could get trapped.
Making a basking area:
The basking area for your turtles need to be provided by stacking rocks and sloping smooth large gravel to one side so that a land area is being made. You can use materials as per your preference but also keep in mind that your pet shouldn’t have any difficulties while climbing onto it. Also, it should help your turtle to dry off completely.
What are some commonly occurring problems during the tank setup?
Here are some frequently occurring problems that should be avoided while setting up the tank for your pet turtle. When you avoid these issues, your turtle will have a healthy life. What do these include? Let us take a look at the points as follows.
- If you intend on using gravel in the tank, remember that cleaning it can become difficult. Also, you need to make sure that the pebbles you use in your tank are large enough so that they cannot be swallowed by your turtle accidentally.
- If you want to reduce the mess, you should try feeding your turtles in a different container. This will reduce the workload of the filtration system.
- Another common mistake that occurs while you are creating an environment for your turtle is that you should buy the right tank size. A smaller tank will cause a lot of trouble for your turtle as it grows. So, you must be keeping a check on your turtle’s measurements and ensuring that there is enough area for it to swim about.
What factors should be considered before buying a tank for your turtle?
The material of the tank: turtle tanks can be made of different materials and these include acrylic, glass or even plastic. But the most commonly used turtle tanks are made out of glass. This material is resistant and strong turning out to be an ideal option for a turtle tank. You should also remember that the choice of the material will influence the cost of the tank. So, based on your budget and preference you can make your purchase.
Lighting and heating: you need to ensure that the temperature inside the tank is appropriate for the comfort and well-being of your turtle. The best turtle tanks will have features like UVB and UVA lighting and heating lamps. You can also buy the heating lamp for your turtle separately but make sure you have all the details right.
Most of the turtle pet owners feel that they should customize the tank as per the needs of their turtle. This tends to be a great option as the turtle will feel more safe and comfortable in there. Always remember that turtles will grow and you might get a baby turtle home – so think about it in the future and then take all the required decisions for its healthy growth and lifestyle.